Celebrate the First Anniversary of Dementia Friends Nigeria
Dementia Friends Nigeria and its Grand Patron His Imperial Majesty OBA SALIU OLASUPO ADETUNJI (Ajeogungunniso 1 The Olubadan of Ibadan) invites you to the First Anniversary of Dementia Friends Nigeria on Saturday 4th February 2017 from 10am to 4pm at St David’s Cathedral Church, Kudeti, Ibadan.
Please be punctual so as to not miss out on any part of the event. This includes:
- Free dental health check
- Free wellness tips
- Free health check
About Dementia Friends
To become a Dementia Friend you have to learn a little more about what it is like to live with dementia and turn that understanding into action. It’s easy and fun to do and you can help make the lives of people living with dementia in Nigeria that much better.
If you wish to go even further you can help spread the word and encourage more people to become Dementia Friends. You can become a Dementia Friends Champion.
Find out more on 4th February 2017.
Let us know you’ll be attending by completing this form:
Every Nigerian town and village has someone living with dementia. Almost every Nigerian knows someone living with dementia although they may not be aware of this fact. People with dementia are often misunderstood, excluded or treated differently and are more likely to become socially isolated. Stereotypes or misinformation can intimidate friends and family.
Dementia Friends Nigeria is a national awareness and public engagement initiative. The aim is to support the people and Government States of Nigeria to create a more aware and informed Nigerian population to dispel myths and reduce stigma about dementia. The program focuses on individuals and workplaces, providing the opportunity for people from all walks of life to sign up as a Dementia Friend.
A Dementia Friend is someone who learns a little bit more about what it’s like to live with dementia and then turns that understanding into simple actions that can help people with dementia live well. Registering to become a Dementia Friend is easy and means joining a growing movement of individuals and workplaces who are increasing awareness and creating positive change worldwide.
Nigeria will be the 3rd country to be given the privilege of running the Dementia Friends initiative by Alzheimer’s Society. Canada and Mauritius have already launched Dementia Friends, and other countries are waiting in line. We hope you can join us for the launch of the Nigerian initiative on the 28th of January 2016.
Notes for editors
- Dementia Friends Nigeriais modelled after Dementia Friends in the United Kingdom.
- Dementia Friends is an Alzheimer’s Society initiative.
- The initiative is being adapted to the Nigerian context.
- For more information contact Kikelomo Laniyonu Edwards, Rossetti Care Limited, Wahabi Olayiwola Layout, Tose, Moniya, Ibadan, Nigeria, telephone +234 (0)7068 633 627
- The word dementiadescribes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or language. Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Dementia is progressive, which means the symptoms will gradually get worse.
- Much of the Dementia Friends Nigeria initiative will be carried out online. Bookmark this page for further details dementianigeria.com/dementiafriends